Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

Google Calendar



I created a Google Calendar for my students and their families to check on important dates, events, and assignments.  Everything went well and was very easy except for embedding it onto my SWIFT site.  I followed the SWIFT "help page" directions but got stuck when it said "Back in SWIFT, paste this URL into your 'Google Calendar XML URL field'".  I have no idea where the "Google Calendar XML URL field" is on my SWIFT edit page.  Maybe I'm not reading that direction the correct way?  I also tried the other option of copying and pasting the HTML link onto one of the site pages, but after I saved that page all that showed up was the address, no calendar.  For now, I have a "CALENDAR" link on my Links Page until I can figure out what I'm missing here.  I feel like it's something extremely obvious because everyone else seemed to figure it out.

I don't know if I really enjoyed this task because I couldn't complete it by embedding my calendar (haha).  I will enjoy having it on the website and having it available to my students and families if I figure out how to embed it.  My main idea for using this tool is to have a place where my students can independently check on assignment due dates and events to help them stay organized in and out of the classroom.  I will also encourage parents to check in on it as well.  Last year I did a "cover page" on the students' weekly homework packet with important dates, but I may use the calendar as a digital version of that this year.  I also plan to use this calendar in Google Classroom and I might experiment with the kids making their own as a planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment