by Katherine Ramsey
- What did you create, and why?
I created a Google Slide slideshow to teach students about their digital footprint. This will help students to understand that they leave footprints when they go online; that information is available to everyone; and that it is permanent. - What went well for you?
Creating the Google Slide slideshow went pretty well since I have experience with Microsoft PowerPoint. It was interesting to see the similarities as well as differences. - What was challenging?
I did a Google search for myself and for some of my students trying to show our actual footprints. I didn't find myself or my students; however, I did find several people with my name that had poor enough security settings that I could find them. I did find a review that I wrote on a product when I searched for my email address. - What did you enjoy?
I enjoyed searching and not finding myself. I have worked pretty hard to make sure that my digital footprint was very small. I wonder though, in this highly digital age, if I shouldn't have a little bit of a footprint. I wouldn't want it to appear that I am not relevant. I also enjoyed changing the lesson from lecture to participation - I need the students to lead the discussion in this area. - What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families?
I will use the slideshow as a lesson with my students in September. I will also put a link to it on my classroom page so students can share it with their parents. I could also create a single page to send home to parents that discusses how they can help their children create and maintain a positive, safe digital footprint.
Katherine this activity sounds wonderful. What a great way to involve the students in the discussion! I like the fact that you said you want the students to participate because they are more apt to take ownership if they not only see the correct behavior modeled, but they also have genuine conversations about the topic. I also love the fact that you are planning on sharing this with parents. What a great way to involve parents in the conversation! I notice at the end of the slideshow there is a question about their digital footprint. Are you going to have students search their name for their digital footprint?
ReplyDeleteChrista,
DeleteYes, I plan on having the students search their names as part of the process. I think it's important that they know what information is out there. I know I was shocked the first time I searched for myself online. Students need to know how to have a positive digital footprint. Hopefully, this lesson will help them see that.