Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Challenge: Google Calendar

by Katherine Ramsey

  • What did you create, and why? I created a Google Calendar for my first period class. I will have my students check this calendar daily as part of our class routine. (All students at my school will have chrome books.) I plan on posting homework assignments and important dates on this calendar.
  • What went well for you? Creating the actual calendar went well for me as I have experience working with multiple calendars.
  • What was challenging? Linking the calendar to my teacher website was a challenging step. I haven't used my teacher website very much and it took me a little time to figure it out. Perhaps if I did the Classroom Website Challenge first, it might have been easier.
  • What did you enjoy? I enjoyed creating a calendar and thinking about how I might create a calendar for each of my classes. I like the fact that you can set it up to where only specific people can modify entries.
  • What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families? We have been thinking of creating a shared calendar for MDTs and IEP meetings. This may be easier ... but would we be able to link this to our Outlook calendars? More research will be needed on this. Having a calendar linked on my class website would allow parents to view upcoming information (something they can't see on Classroom.)

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you like what Google Calendar has to offer. The shared calendar feature is great. Students who have their own calendar can also copy events from yours to add them to their own which is great especially for due dates. Unfortunately, there is not a way to link it with the Outlook Calendar. The information on Outlook Calendars can be imported into a Google Calendar, but it does not automatically sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Christa. I think we will probably share an Outlook calendar instead since Google won't sync. I do like the Google Calendar, but want to keep everything in one place. Thanks again!

      Delete