Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Challenge: Class Website

Visit my website at: Ms. Scott’s English Language Learners


What did you create, and why?
I created a website for the English Language Learners’ program at my building. Frequently I am asked questions about the ELL program from teachers and parents. By creating a website, the goal is to communicate pertinent ELL information to educators, students, parents, and the community.
What went well for you?
There were several tasks that went well for creating the ELL website. I wanted to add school photos to the website and I was able to upload several photos with ease. Since this website is a work-in-progress, my plan is to begin collecting photos throughout this next school year and add them to the site periodically.
Surprisingly, adding documents to the site was relatively easy. Now teachers and parents can easily access documents such as the English Language Proficiency (ELP) and Common Core State Standards (CCSS) just by visiting my ELL website. Throughout the year, other documents will be housed on this page for students and parents to access information .
What was challenging?
Deciding on the purpose of the website was a challenge for me. Wanting to create a functional site, was my first priority. After viewing other teachers’ websites, I decided to focus on just communicating information concerning the ELL program at my building. Once the purpose was in place, I tried to create pages without understanding the tools. The help or “training and documentation” page was beneficial when I had issues with uploading photos. Since this page was very helpful, I would recommend using this document when encountering issues.
My last challenge will be to keep updating my website throughout the year. As suggested in the description of this challenge, “The key to a great classroom website is updating it often. Put update days on your calendar.”
What did you enjoy?
I enjoyed creating the website as this challenge gave me the opportunity to thoughtfully construct a site. In the past, I’ve never had the time or energy to keep up the pace of a website. To be successful with this website, I’ll begin with these two thoughts in mind: keep it simple and perseverance.
What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families?
This year my intentions are to promote and clearly define the purpose and goals of the ELL program with teachers and families through this website. In addition to obtaining program information, this tool will be used to communicate with families concerning important ELL events. Since I work closely with the Outreach Coordinator, I envision us using this website to announce or remind parents of school activities. Other ideas besides announcements would be a parent resource page. Since this site has a “select a language” tab with over 80 different languages, my hope is for families to utilize this English Language Learners’ website as a way to connect between school and home.

1 comment:

  1. Great website, Marsha! The families you work with will appreciate all the information you have posted.

    ReplyDelete