Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Challenge: Sec District Databases

Challenge:  Sec District Databases

James Caesar
Lynnwood High School


Epigenetics:  Sins of the Father


Genetic Traits: Will you share certain genetic traits more with family members than non-family members?


  • What did you create, and why?
I found 2 different links that I can use in my honors biology class during the unit on Genetics.  I posted the two links above on my school district website.  

I will use the first article as enrichment to the normal curriculum.  It is about the Epigenome and how environment/chemicals control a Genome which a few years ago we never know existed.  Methyl groups act as tiny switches that activate some genes and turn off others helping to explain why genetically identical individuals are different.

The second article has a lab embedded in it that students can bring up at home to get their parents and siblings involved.  It is a simple activity that looks at phenotypic traits, those that we can see, and allows students to compare specific traits that exist in one parent or the other and how they are expressed in the offspring. 
  • What went well for you?
I was happy to find articles that I felt students would really be interested in reading.
  • What was challenging?
Identifying where the password was for the site.
  • What did you enjoy? 
I enjoyed that I was able to add two more useful links to my school website.
  • What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families? See above.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that you found the Gale Science in Context Site helpful. This is a database that is underused, but includes a lot of good information. Fortunately the password is not needed when you access these databases while on the district network during the school year.

    ReplyDelete