by Marsha Scott
What did you create, and why?
I explored Teaching Books.net an online resource site for teachers because my focus this year is to use mentor texts during writing instruction. While reviewing the CCSS English Language Arts standard for grade 3, I noticed one strand centers on compare and contrast of characters, setting, and themes from the same author. This site provides educators with resources to use alongside lessons. For example, there are authors’ websites, interviews with authors, and lesson plans to use with books.
The other resource that I explored was SIRS Discoverer which is a an excellent research site. CCSS writing standards expect students to use online research to support persuasive texts. SIRS Discoverer supports this by providing a plethora of subjects and features for informational text.
What went well for you?
Teaching Books.net was easy to navigate and I was able to plan for a 3rd grade lesson on compare and contrast. I would recommend watching the video tour of Teaching Books.net by founder Nick Glass. He provides an informative 12 minute overview of the site.
SIRS Discoverer site was also easy to navigate through and resources are available in a range of reading levels using Lexile scores.
What was challenging?
The challenge for me was to stay on task while researching the SIRS site. There are so many subjects to research, it becomes difficult to focus without wandering to other places. To introduce this site, I think students need time to explore this tool, before expecting them to utilize it.
What did you enjoy?
Even though I researched two databases on the Edmonds’ website, I’m now aware and familiar with other online resources for students.
What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families?
One idea for using Teaching Books.net is to teach a lesson with 3rd graders on compare and contrast using stories by authors Lucille Colandro and Nadine B. Westcott. Each author uniquely retells the story of I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. I have around six versions of the tale, so students could compare the characters, setting, and events of each story.
Students in my 3rd grade ELL class will research owls, beginning with the Great Horned Owl, using SIRS Discoverer. This tool has a variety of reading levels to meet the learning needs of ELLs. For limited proficient English students, this site has a translation tool. Otherwise, students have the option to listen to the text and follow along as it highlights the text.
Our ELL families are always asking about online resources so I can mention sites on the Edmonds School District’s website during teacher/parent conferences. Also the SIRS Discoverer site offers several translations for students and their families to use at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment