By Marsha Scott
What did you create, and why?
I created a PowToon video on a digital citizenship lesson, “Responsibilities online and offline”. Recently, I received six Chromebooks for my ELL class. Before students begin using the computers, I wanted to create a lesson on being safe and responsible internet users. I developed the video to be used alongside the lesson from Common Sense Media called “Rings of Responsibility.”
The mindmap tool, Coogle was used to organize my thoughts while reading the five articles on digital citizenship.
What went well for you?
While reading the articles from Edutopia and Common Sense Media, I discovered more ideas on implementing digital citizenship with younger elementary students. I came across the lesson, “Going to Safe Places” for Kindergarten-1st grade. This lesson introduces students to the importance of being safe while visiting internet sites.
Being able to combine the digital citizenship lesson with the presentation tool, PowToon went well.
What was challenging?
The most challenging part was modifying the curriculum for third grade. To cover the information, the Rings of Responsibility lesson will need to be taught two days. I am planning to use the PowToon video as a review of the first day’s lesson.
What did you enjoy?
Creating a lesson for digital citizenship and using PowToons was challenging. I enjoy collecting lessons on teaching digital citizenship and found the suggested articles beneficial for this challenge. This badge gave me the opportunity to find new resources to use for the next school year.
What ideas do you have for using this tool with your students, grade level, staff or to communicate with families?
Finding different resources on the Common Sense Media site will enhance my lessons when teaching digital citizenship. I would like to explore their new site, Digital Compass which is an interactive, gaming platform for middle school students. Students help characters through different scenarios dealing with digital issues.
Several of the readings for this badge discussed the importance of educating parents on internet safety with children at home. I noticed that the Common Sense Media site has a family resource page to help guide parents with discussing internet use at home and some of the literature is available in Spanish.

Thanks for sharing the mindmap that you created. One item that is really being stressed lately about Digital Citizenship is the fact that we need to have conversations with students continually and not just telling them what it means to be good digital citizens. The Powtoons that you created is a great way to launch that initial conversation with students.
ReplyDelete